Thursday, February 10, 2011

Jerry's Groove will never stop!

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2011

Jerry's Groove made me think of Mavis Staples singing "I'm On My Way and I Won't Turn Back"
I have been thinking about my friend, Jerry Friedman. I went to a celebration of Jerry's life on Sunday that was put together by his lovergirl, Susan U. Thank you, Susan for organizing it. I have shared with individuals about visiting him at Calvary and how strong his handshake continued to be. I have shared about how I have missed his humor and funk-i-fied playing. But it really hit me when I walked in the door and all his "people" started to show up. Brother Robbie, Phillip, Orlando, John, Allan, Hugh, Ira, Roger R. and Bob, all great creative folk who "groked" with Jerry. Jerry and I worked on all types of music and he could always hear something special to play and that was his gift. He could get inside of my creative process and know what would work. More than just work, what would make the music excel, rock and move! Allan did some tracks with Jerry playing and singing and the performance made me understand that Jerry's musical tone in his guitar and voice and his phrasing of melodies was his prayer going out into the ether! Thank you Allan for capturing it for all time.

http://www.tsrocks.com/m/mavis_staples_texts/on_my_way.html


Read On My Way Lyricshere.

No comments:

Post a Comment